Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Smoke (cont.)

This is ridiculous... the smoke is so intoxicating. Today was the first day I had a massive headache accompanied by a scratchy sore throat...and I'm blaming the smoke from the wildfires.

The last two weeks have been a roller coaster of smoke, "clear" skies, and back to smoke again. I would assume the news coverage of the fires surrounding us would be comparable to what I was seeing on tv about the floods when I was home visiting, but obviously on a different scale.

Here is a view off of our patio that I took at 6pm this evening.

And here is the view on a clear day - notice the round, flat water tower on top of the hill - you can barely see it in the picture above. That is between 3/4 to one mile away...


To top it off, today was a scorching 108F - AND the air conditioner at work was broken when everybody arrived this morning. You know when you expect to walk into an office and feel the blast of cool air? It was actually cooler (at 82F) outside this morning when I got to work at 7, than it was in the building. We shut the lights off on our side of the building and everybody had their little personal fans blowing. Too bad for me, I don't have a fan because 99.9% of the time, I'm freezing and wearing a sweater, but they soon got it fixed and we were getting cooled off around 10am. But still... it was hot.

I just hope we can catch a break from the heat and smoke here before long...this is getting tiring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have something similar to that that clouds the horizons and eliminates visibility and makes everyone SICK OF IT, it's called snow and it comes every year & stays forever, or at least feels like it! At least until the miserable heat radiating off the pavement at the State Fair takes it away.

Anonymous said...

Can we re-visit the Pet Peeve thing?! (Please humor me!) Those idiots that take their license plate renewal sticker and put it NEXT TO the previous one..and the one before that..and the one before that...

Until you see all of these little multi-colored squares with the month on them, only ONE OF WHICH is VALID!

Why are people so stupid? Put it on top of the old one that is now expired! Why is this so difficult?

I saw not one, not two, but THREE cars today with that same problem, all in my 8 minute drive to work. God help us all, these people VOTE. Geeze.