Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My 4th

Ok, so it's a week late, but it's better late than never!
I hope everybody had a great holiday and enjoyed spending time with your family and friends. Thanks to those of you who sent pictures and filled me in on how you celebrated the day - I always enjoy seeing you guys having a good time!

To break away from the Okoboji norm of celebrating, I was able to enjoy the day in San Francisco with my friend, Jason. (Sorry Funny, no slush for either one of us this year...hee hee)

The day started bright and early (butt crack of dawn, really) as we headed to The City around 6am. I haven't been there since going over with Travis, Jennifer, and (at the time) baby Sophia 3 and a half years ago. It was so much fun getting the chance to actually take a tour of the town and spend some time sight seeing.





Jason has figured out my obsessive planning behavior and did such a great job getting the day lined up for us (right on schedule!). We were able to rent a Go Car and drive around town using a GPS/Navigation system with a built in tour guide. It was fun listening to the stories behind landmarks and taking time to stop, sight see, and take some pictures along the way.






After 3 hours and a cool farmer's sunburn later, we dropped off the Go Car, grabbed a bite to eat, have a drink, and walk around a little bit more. Our age is showing since we were both tired enough to take a nap before heading out to see the fireworks, which by the way, were amazing.


Jason had bought us some tickets to take a boat (Old Blue) out into the bay to watch the show from a barge - it was so cool! Literally... it was cold as all get out, but well worth it! I love, love, love fireworks and was so excited to see them up close and personal, reflecting off of the water, and listening to the ooh's and aah's from the other people on board.






Once the fireworks were over, we high tailed back to the dock and spent the next hour just walking back to the hotel. Little Miss Out of Shape was a hurting unit once we tackled the hills of San Francisco - holy smokes.

The following day we took it a little easy and went back to the bay to sit and visit and unfortunately, it was so foggy that we were unable to see the Golden Gate Bridge as clearly as we had the day before. We did a little shopping, a little eating, and just took some time to sit back, relax, and enjoy each other's company.




I think the best part of the day was seeing how God speaks to me through so many things, especially in scenery. I love sunsets and we were able to see the most beautiful sunset over the bay, the weather was clear, the sky was blue, and everthing was so vibrant. I've been blessed with a new friend to spend time with and am so thankful to have somebody to share my faith, time, and interests.

It was a great day and I hope you all had a memorable time as well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Funny, I am as patriotic as the next gal but my family and I have never really "celebrated" the Fourth. We grilled out - just Jeff, Aubrey and I - but that was the WHOLE enchilada you might say. San Fran can be great but I know the "hell" of it as well!!! lol Glad you have a good buddy to share things with out there!!! Hope to talk to ya soon.